Two of my favorite things in this world are good music and good beer. Somehow they've always gone hand-in-hand with me, so I thought I'd spend a little bit of time explaining what I like in both. The making of each to me is an art form and both are necessary to a good outlook on life and general happiness. They both seem better while you're sharing them with others, and each enhances the other.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mix Tapes at old Drakes Brewing

I mentioned a craft brewery in an earlier post that I used to live nearby called Drakes. For many years they held tastings on Friday's after work and I made many a good friend during those years. The tastings had all the ambiance of a tailgate party at a sporting event because we usually hung around outside in the parking lot, walking around with a pint glass in out hands and chatting with others.

Drakes would let us snake an extension cord into their place so we could plug in a boom box and have some music. For a while we'd play mix tapes/cds so we wouldn't have to hear an entire album of a single artist and bore others. Mixes was easier than shuffling cds, and so it was just that for a time. Just about all my mixes began with a tune from the operetta called The Student Prince and performed by Mario Lanza. This was typically played as the first beers were poured those Fridays.

The mix tapes that I made I hung onto for the most part and I still listen to one if I can't decide on what to play. Here's one I played at Drake's on February 2, 2007:





After a couple we'd start to really enjoy the music

No comments:

Post a Comment