Two of my favorite things in this world are good music and good beer. Somehow they've always gone hand-in-hand with me, so I thought I'd spend a little bit of time explaining what I like in both. The making of each to me is an art form and both are necessary to a good outlook on life and general happiness. They both seem better while you're sharing them with others, and each enhances the other.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hardly Strictly Emmylou

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival was just here a couple of weeks ago and I missed it this year. Unavoidable. This has rapidly turned into one of the top festivals in the country, attracting a very diverse array of talent. The festival also allows you to bring in your own refreshments, meaning you can listen to world class music with your favorite beer.

The performer who always performs there is a lady named Emmylou Harris. She's always there because I think she's the favorite of Warren Hellman, the man who puts the festival on each and every year with money from his own pocket and makes it free to all. I'm glad he likes her music because I like it too.

Emmylou has always been on of my favorite country performers, and a lot of performers admire her as well. She's performed with just about everyone from the country music field as well as Mark Knopfler, Dave Matthews, The Band, Elvis Costello, Neil Young, and many others. She performs not only her own compositions but also those of Gram Parsons, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda Williams and others.

This show isn't from the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass fest, not is it from a recent show. This is from 1995, recorded at the Shepherd's Bush Empire stage in London. Emmylou is backed on this by the Daniel Lanois Band. Lanois is probably better known these days as one of the top record producers in the business, having produced recordings by Bob Dylan, U2, Brian Eno and of course Emmylou Harris.

Listen to it streaming or download it for your MP3 player by clicking on the "Divshare" logo. It will open in a new window and allow downloads.


No comments:

Post a Comment