Two of my favorite things in this world are good music and good beer. Somehow they've always gone hand-in-hand with me, so I thought I'd spend a little bit of time explaining what I like in both. The making of each to me is an art form and both are necessary to a good outlook on life and general happiness. They both seem better while you're sharing them with others, and each enhances the other.

Friday, December 24, 2010

The Beatles Let It Be - the second Glyn Johns mix

I'm sure you are all aware of the story behind the Beatles' Let It Be album, how they kept recording and recording and then finally hired Phil Spector to go through the mess and come up with a good sounding record. Spector was legendary for overproducing music. His work was sometimes referred to as the Phil Spector wall of sound.

Anyway, Glyn Johns, a legendary producer in his own right, did a lot of the work beforehand and had actually produced Let It Be to be released prior to Abbey Road. The Beatles didn't care for it and then had Spector come in. Johns naturally preferred his version which he claimed was closer to how nature intended it to sound.


Here's the original Let It Be. Happy holidays.



And as a bonus, the trippiest version of Revolution you'll ever hear:

No comments:

Post a Comment